In the mid-1940's, concerned, interested citizens in Coffeyville began planning for comprehensive healthcare facilities for the community to meet the future needs of the area. This effort culminated in 1949 with the opening of the
three-story Coffeyville Memorial Hospital as a non-profit city owned hospital to serve the people of Southeastern Kansas and Northeastern Oklahoma.
In 1956, a fourth floor was added to the fundamental physical plant to alleviate a shortage of patient beds and to provide pediatric facilities and a newborn nursery.
To keep pace with the continuing population growth of the region and with the rapid advances being made in medical technology, a three-phased modernization and updating program was undertaken in 1970. The first phase concluded in 1972 with
the remodeling of the Radiology Department, the Laboratory, the Emergency Room, the Respiratory Therapy Department, Central Supply and the Recovery Room. All ceiling and lighting fixtures were replaced during this phase.
The second phase was finished in 1976 and included the rejuvenation of the Radiology and Nuclear Medicine Departments, the installation of new elevators, and the creation of a new Pathology Laboratory, more nursing stations, and a dual-purpose Intensive/Coronary Care Unit. An extensive amount of modernization was done to the Nursery during this phase as well.
The third phase occurred in 1978 with the addition of new dietary facilities featuring a modernization of the food preparation and transportation system.
In 1979, the trustees once again began considering the possibility of expansion and that dream was realized in 1985 with the opening of the spacious and modern tower addition to the south of the original structure. Included in the expansion project was an enlarged and modernized surgery suite with inpatient and outpatient surgery capabilities, a new Radiology facility which features a variety of imaging processes including ultrasound and CT scanning, and a new second floor
55-bed inpatient complex. The expansion project addressed the serious space problems of the Business Office, Admissions Area and Medical Records Departments. The hospital was renamed Coffeyville Regional Medical Center at the time of this
addition to more accurately reflect its wide range of services and the scope of the service area.
In 1987, the Fourth Floor was remodeled to re-open the Psychiatric Department. The 15-bed unit draws adult and adolescent patients from across Kansas. At this same time, the North Wing was transformed into a Medicare/Medicaid approved Skilled Nursing Facility offering transitional care for patients who require rehabilitative therapy. The first patient in this SNF unit was admitted in February of 1988.
Also in 1988, the Education Department was expanded to include wellness and screening programs made available for community, civic and educational groups as well as to area businesses. In 1989, another classroom was added in the center of the basement walking area. This classroom was financed through a gift from the Auxiliary.
During the 1990's CRMC continued to grow and expand. In 1990, the Emergency Room was expanded and updated. At the same time, thanks to an energy management grant from the State of Kansas, the heating and air conditioning in the original
building were replaced. During the latter part of 1990 the outpatient clinics, conducted by consultants, were centralized and relocated to the northwest wing formerly occupied by Four County Mental Health. This new department was named
In 1991, the Third Floor was transformed into office space to make room on First Floor for a new Intensive Care Unit, formerly located on the Second Floor. In 1992, the new unit was constructed on the first floor centrally located between the Emergency Room and Surgical Services. Also, the Cancer Center received Accreditation from the American College of Surgeons.
In 1993, the OB unit on Second Floor was renovated to include modern birthing suites, private and semi-private rooms, an all new nursery and an emergency C-Section Surgery Suite. The Psychiatric Unit on 4th floor was refurbished.
In 1995, CRMC created Access Care, a subscription ambulance service designed to eliminate out-of-pocket expenses for emergency ambulance service and medically oriented transportation. Utilizing a portion of the Physical Therapy Department, a Cardiac Rehab Unit was developed to meet the needs of residents in Southeast Kansas and Northeast Oklahoma. During the fourth quarter of the year, a new GE CT scanner was installed in Medical Imaging.
In 2001 the citizens of Coffeyville voted yes to a $16 million building and renovation project that began in the spring of 2002. The new building was completed in 2005 and included a new Admissions, Laboratory, Emergency Room, and
Intensive Care Unit on the first floor, a new Women's Health Unit and Skilled Nursing unit on second floor, and a Behavioral Health unit on the third floor. Other patient care areas underwent renovation in Medical Imaging, Acute Care and
Surgical Services. All patient care was consolidated to one area of the hospital.
In 2008, the Behavioral Health unit was closed, brought about by the trend in Behavioral Health care moving from inpatient care to outpatient services. The result of this shift was a decreased payment for hospital care to a point that CRMC was unable to cover the costs of keeping the unit open.
THE JERRY MARQUETTE RADIATION ONCOLOGY CENTER celebrated it's grand opening in November 2011. After 30 years of radiation oncology services, this new $10.5 million area was re-dedicated to the community with all new equipment, including the Varian Clinac iX, a multiple energy linear accelerator and a Toshiba large-bore CT simulator for planning treatments. A Topex superficial therapy machine and the advanced Eclipse treatment planning system were purchased within the last few years.
As a side note, part of the $10.5 million expansion included a new safe room and alternate care site which will house patients in the event of a natural disaster. The 6500 square foot safe room is located in the basement of the new Radiation Oncology building and can accommodate 38 beds and 34 wheelchairs.